Winter months can leave our skin rough and dry. I’ve never had a problem with dry skin until this winter season, and it has totally not been fun. I came across this facial mask recipe on Tarte Cosmetics’ website (http://tartecosmetics.com/blog/2013/01/28/diy-beauty-ultra-moisturizing-cocoa-face-mask/#disqus_thread) last night and I just had to try it! So I did. My face has never been this smooth before! It’s crazy. So I just had to share it with you all. Here’s the recipe. (I halved it, and it still made quite a bit! Easily enough for three or four masks! Also, I just used olive oil in place of the oil they mention here. Any oil will do, though.)
3 Tbsp. finely ground espresso or coffee beans (I use my own grinder, but already ground coffee works, too!)
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp. finely ground toasted almonds (You can use your coffee grinder to prepare the nuts as well!)
1 Tbsp. 100% pure maracuja oil
4 Tbsp. whole milk or unflavored yogurt. Vegans, feel free to substitute with almond milk or coconut milk.
2 Tbsp. honey
1. Grind coffee and almonds —separately– into a fine powder. Remember both ingredients must be finely ground so as to not scratch your skin— you face has enough to deal with in winter!
2. Mix the coffee, cocoa and almonds together in a bowl.
3. Add your diary (or dairy substitute) ingredient. Use only 3 Tbsp if you prefer a thicker mask.
4. Stir in the honey. I like to warm it up first, this helps the honey mix more easily. Try a warm water bath or a minute in the microwave.
5. Continue mixing until smooth while slowly adding in the pure maracuja oil.
6. Apply the mixture to your face, neck, and, if you like , your décolletage.
7. Let the mask sit for 15 minutes and try not to scare your neighbors. Then gently remove by pressing a warm, wet washcloth against your face to loosen the mask. Be careful not to rub too hard — the coffee grounds could irritate sensitive skin.
8. Face the harsh, dry temperatures with calm, hydrated skin!
If there is mixture left over, store it in the fridge and use it the next week. Toss it if you don’t use it within the next 8 days.
Hope you enjoy!